At Bluestockings, every time you shop with us, you are helping to maintain not only a feminist bookstore, but a safer space in Manhattan that functions as a resource center for the local community and beyond.
We get asked so many questions about so many issues, with varying degrees of need and urgency. The most comprehensive resource we have found for many of these questions is Connections: A Guide for Formerly Incarcerated Individuals, edited and published for free to the public by the New York Public Library.
You can download Connections here.
In this publication, you can find a robust list of resources on the following topics:
The New York Public Library’s Resources
Organizations for Formerly Incarcerated People
Education, including ESOL resources and continuing education
Physical & Mental Health
People with Disabilities
Resources for Women
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer People
Youth and Family Resources
Consumer Affairs & Transportation
Searching for a Job
Here is a brief list of local resources :
- NYC Queer Mental Health Initiative (QMHI) Resource List
- Lower East Side Harm Reduction Center
- The LGBT Center
- edX, free university courses from schools such as Harvard and MIT
- Love is Respect, advocacy group for prevention and ending abusive relationships. If you fear your internet usage is monitored, they can be reached at 886-331-9474.
- Hostels listings
- Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing (gov services) located in the Bronx at 151 East 151st Street. Inquiries at 311
- PATH Providers
- Food Bank Map, find a soup kitchen, food pantry, senior center, SNAP enrollment site, or free Tax assistance site near you.
- Anti-Violence Project, empowers LGBTQ and HIV-affected communities and allies to end all forms of violence
- The Door, Youth Center (ages 12-24), free membership
- University Settlement , programs for folks of all ages, including housing, education, and support for the aging.
Bluestockings also has a resource guide that was put together last year that includes a list of Radical Spaces in the area as well as book recommendations. Sections that cover resources that are also covered in Connections have been removed, as Connections is more up to date. You can find that pdf here (last updated 08.28.16).